We are very pleased to be part of AmCham and are looking forward to driving innovation forward in Latvia.
Mikko Fernström, General Manager, Biogen Latvia
SKA team, represented by Matīss Kukainis, Ieva Azanda, Dzintars Zonenbergs, Līva Kalniņa and Laura Vinberga, Daniels Vīksna, Kaspars Frīdenbergs-Ansbergs, Tatjana Čaika, Jurgita Spīgulis and Edvards Gaigals from Law Firm Spigulis, Kukainis & Azanda made their SKACHILLES a winner of the title Best Chili Riga 2013 at the 9th Annual Chili Cook-Off. In addition, SKACHILLES won People’s Choice Award determined by the public vote. The event took place on September 19 at the Restaurant Viesistaba Vintage.
2nd place was awarded to the Drupa family team for their Gun Powder Chile. 3rd place went to Chefs of Ciekurzi for their Hunters Wild Game Chili.
Winners were selected by an expert jury made up of four members:
- Douglas Davidson, U.S. Special Envoy;
- Agate Lūse, Chair of the Board of Restaurant Viesistaba Vintage;
- Karlis Roberts Celms, a celebrity chef; Owner of the restaurant Tvaiks and Chef at Cultural/catering space "371";
- Ilze Jurkāne, Culinary expert.
Judging was done anonymously by evaluating each chili by aroma, appearance, taste and aftertaste. The jury selected SKACHILLES prepared by the SKA team as the winner.
Winners received generous prizes from Beķerfeja, Grand Palace Hotel, Hotel Bergs, Radisson Blu Hotel Daugava, Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, Watch Store Laiks at Galerija Rīga, Santa Maria and Viesistaba Vintage.
14 teams – all time record number – competed for the main prize:
- Amateur Chefs: Ieva Keviešena and Daiga Lazdiņa with Anniversary Chili
- The Pepperoni team: Marika Jagovkina and Dace Šaitere with Astra Chili
- Chefs of Ciekurzi: Kristine Muzzy and Zintars Zāmelis with Hunters Wild Game Chili
- Colemont’s cooks: Līga Dimante and Anita Lukstaraupe with Colemont’s Chili Magic
- The Chili Ellis Team: Kristīne Kalveite, Santa Rozenkopfa, Iveta Priedīte and Iveta Valtere with ChilEll Chili
- The Drupa team: Jānis Drupa and Mara Bērtiņa with Gun Powder Chile
- The Glaxo SmithKline Latvia team: Elīna Briede, Edīte Kalniņa, Ilze Drozdecka, Liene Goldberga and Signe Vēliņa with Socially Responsible and Family Friendly Chili
- Le Dome team: Māris Astičs and Aina Mihneva with Chili Le Dome
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Uģis Zeltiņš and Kristīne Patmalniece with Eric Cartman Chili
- The Montcarthys team: Molly Montgomery and Evan McCarthy with Dinamo Whiskey Chili
- The SKA team: Matīss Kukainis, Ieva Azanda, Līva Kalniņa and Laura Vīnberga with SKACHILLES
- The Skrivanek Language and Taste Solutions team: Aiga Veckalne and Katrīne Latkovska with The World is Yours Chili
- Spicy Ladies team: Toni Vanhanen and Rose-Marie Kjaer with Texas meets Sweden Chili
- The Toasties team: Vanda Daukšta and Anna Reynolds with Talk of the Town Chili
A charity raffle in benefit of RMHC Latvija’s Care Mobile was held during the event. Over 400 LVL of proceeds raised will allow many children in Latvia to receive free healthcare services. Raffle prizes were generously provided by Diatom Art, Fish Restaurant Le Dome at Dome Hotel & SPA, Latvian National Opera, RB Management, Taka SPA and Senas Pasaules Mebeles.
The Annual Chili Cook-Off is a traditional autumn event where AmCham members and friends compete for the Best Chili in Riga award.
AmCham is a 'must-join' organization for any company of scope or international ambition.
Karlis Cerbulis, Senior Vice President of NCH Advisors, Inc.