More than 50 AmCham members, partners and friends gathered for the 12th Annual Chili Cook-Off at the Albert Hotel Star Lounge Bar last night to spend a fun and delicios evening in a wonderful company. The Annual Chili Cook-Off is a traditional autumn event where AmCham members and friends compete for the Best Chili in Riga award.
The Albert Hotel Team Al-Chemi, represented by Zane Grīnfelde and Anita Kārkliņa made their Einstein Beef Chili a winner this year. The Al-Chemi Team received the title Best Chili Riga 2016 and a special Chili Pepper Award. In addition, they were awarded a prize from Dome Hotel & SPA.
2nd place was awarded to the TexMex Republic Team for their TexMex Republic Chili. 3rd place went to the Dome Hotel & SPA Team represented by Jānis Pinnis and Kristīne Strode with Chili Le Dome. Justin Bancroft with his California Chili won People’s Choice Award this year. Winners received generous prizes from Albert Hotel, Dome Hotel & SPA, Indian Raja and Latvia Tours.
Judging was done blindly by evaluating each chili by aroma, appearance, taste and aftertaste. The jury consisted of expert chili tasters and chefs:
- Mārtiņš Sirmais, Chef, owner of restaurants and the host of food shows;
- Anne Debevoise, Consul General, U.S. Embassy;
- Ieva Hertel, Best Chili in Riga 2015 Winner;
- Anatolijs Pimanovs, Executive Chef of Albert Hotel;
- Juris Jākobsons, AmCham Board Member, Citadele Banka.
7 teams participated in this year’s Cook-Off including:
- Al-ChemTeam: Zane Grīnfelde and Anita Kārkliņa from Albert Hotel with Einstein Beef Chili
- Dome Hotel & SPATeam: Jānis Pinnis and Kristīne Strode with Chili Le Dome
- Learn IT girls Team: Elīna Ingelande and Linda Sinka with Just Chillin'
- Abbvie Chili Team: Edīte Kalniņa un Luīze Kalniņa with AbbVie Loves Chilli & Chilli Loves AbbVie
- TexMex Republic Team: Zane Vītoliņa and Dainis Vītols with TexMex Republic Chili
- Spicy Raja Team: Sunny Motwany and Rajendrasingh with Kheema Ratma Chili
- Justin Bancroft with California Chili
In addition to the chili contest, 450 EUR were raised in the charity raffle in benefit of the Latvian Foster Family Association, RMHC Latvija and SOS Children’s Villages Latvia – organizations striving to promote healthy development of children and a family-based care for children without biological parents. The charity raffle was supported by Grand Palace Hotel, Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia, Restorāns Klīversala, Blind Dreams, CBRE, Indian Raja and Santa Maria.